Installing OpenVMS alpha on free AlphaVM - prompted for SYSTEM password
m***@markround.com
2012-08-22 15:18:12 UTC
Hi all,

I'm attempting to install OpenVMS Alpha 8.4 on the Free AlphaVM for Linux (http://emuvm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=6).

However, I'm running into a problem when being prompted for the SYSTEM password - whatever I type, I constantly get this back :

Password may contain only A-Z, 0-9, $ and _ characters!

The password is also echoed back to me. This happens using the standard telnet client that ships with Ubuntu 12.04, and PuTTY on Windows (connecting to the default port of 20000 for the emulated COM0). There seems to be some mention of telnet's CRLF causing this problem :

http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.vms/2008-12/msg00315.html
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_6557.html

But whatever I try, I still can't get past this step. Does anyone have any ideas how I can proceed, or what settings I should tweak in telnet/PuTTY ?

Thanks,

-Mark
Rich Jordan
2012-08-22 15:34:44 UTC
Post by m***@markround.com
Hi all,
I'm attempting to install OpenVMS Alpha 8.4 on the Free AlphaVM for Linux (http://emuvm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=6).
    Password may contain only A-Z, 0-9, $ and _ characters!
http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.vms/2008-12/msg00315.htmlhttp://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_6557.html
But whatever I try, I still can't get past this step. Does anyone have any ideas how I can proceed, or what settings I should tweak in telnet/PuTTY ?
Thanks,
-Mark
I was using putty on a different setup last night (specialty equipment
with a telnet interface), and had to make two changes, the first
similar to how I use it for VMS.

In the keyboard setup make sure the backspace key is set to send the
rubout (control->, ascii 127) code.

With this device, every prompt I entered info into had characters in
the input buffer before I typed anything so I had to use the backspace
key a few times to make sure the input buffer was empty, then enter my
commands.

I don't know why it was behaving this way and don't have time to find
out right now.

You can check the Connection:Telnet option for 'Return key sends
Telnet New Line instead of ^M' setting also, and try changing it.

Hope that is of some help.
Paul Sture
2012-08-22 15:58:37 UTC
Post by m***@markround.com
But whatever I try, I still can't get past this step. Does anyone have
any ideas how I can proceed, or what settings I should tweak in
telnet/PuTTY ?
I scrapped the idea of using telnet or PuTTY.

Install socat instead and use this incantation:

socat -,raw,echo=0,escape=0x1c tcp:127.0.0.1:20000

Note that 'escape=0x1c' there gives you CTRL-\ as the escape character to
socat.
Paul Sture
JF Mezei
2012-08-22 17:21:40 UTC
Post by m***@markround.com
Password may contain only A-Z, 0-9, $ and _ characters!
Is this while trying to change the password or when login in ?
Post by m***@markround.com
But whatever I try, I still can't get past this step. Does anyone have any ideas how I can proceed, or what settings I should tweak in telnet/PuTTY ?
Remember that you are not telnetting into VMS, you are telnetting to the
emulator application which then feeds the data to VMS via an emaulated
serial port (if I ubderstand properly).

Are there any settings for the alpha emulator with regards to the telnet
virtual serial console ?

If you are able to login, what does SHOW TERM display ? Is it OPA0: or
TN0xx: device ?

If you are able to login, you may wish to do SET TERM/INQUIRE from the $
prompt. This may change some of the terminal characteristics and get
VMS to better understand what you type (in terms of editing characters)

Also, in telnet, make sure that you send DEL and not CRTL-H when you
wish to delete the previous character. CTRL-H gets you to start of line
on VMS. (and thsi is perhaps a way to test your setup, if you type
CRTL-H and it actually edits the line it means the emulator is
interpreting your characters and not VMS.

Also, if you escape to command mode in telnet, you can set various
parameters. One is "line mode" which means your line editing is local to
your host and once pre press return, it then gets sent. This would cause
duplication of characters once you send the line but may allow you to
perform some commands that otherwise get mangled.
Dale Dellutri
2012-08-22 18:08:40 UTC
Post by m***@markround.com
Hi all,
I'm attempting to install OpenVMS Alpha 8.4 on the Free AlphaVM for Linux (http://emuvm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=6).
Password may contain only A-Z, 0-9, $ and _ characters!
http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.vms/2008-12/msg00315.html
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_6557.html
But whatever I try, I still can't get past this step. Does anyone have any ideas how I can proceed, or what settings I should tweak in telnet/PuTTY ?
If you're using PuTTY, you must use Raw mode (on PuTTY's Session
config screen), not telnet.
Dale Dellutri <***@panQQQix.com> (lose the Q's)
m***@markround.com
2012-08-23 08:29:43 UTC
Post by Dale Dellutri
If you're using PuTTY, you must use Raw mode (on PuTTY's Session
config screen), not telnet.
Thanks! I haven't tried that yet, but I did get it to work by switching off "local echo" and "local line editing" in PuTTY. Using raw mode would presumably work as well, I'll give that a go once I've got back home tonight. In any case, I managed to complete the installation and it's now up and running.

Thanks again,

-Mark
Bob Koehler
2012-08-22 18:21:43 UTC
Post by m***@markround.com
Password may contain only A-Z, 0-9, $ and _ characters!
Well, that's true. But I've never had this show up as a problem
with any TELNET client from any machine.

Is this over a serial connector? There are tools for such
connections for both UNIX and Windows. In fact, we use PuTTY's
serial capability on several systems.
badger007
2012-08-23 23:47:29 UTC
Hello

i ran in that problem on putty installing 8.3 well i run fedora 17 64 bit. i just installed a couple more telnet programs that will work with the emulator for in which xterm will not work I used a program called PCManX 1.1 it worked ok to type in the password. you also can not copy an past in putty either i think you can in pcmanx 1.1

Badger007
Wilm Boerhout
2012-08-25 09:30:16 UTC
Post by badger007
Hello
i ran in that problem on putty installing 8.3 well i run fedora 17 64 bit.
i just installed a couple more telnet programs that will work with the emulator
for in which xterm will
not work I used a program called PCManX 1.1 it worked ok to type in the password.
you also can not copy an past in putty either i think you can in pcmanx 1.1
Badger007
In any and all emulators for VAX and Alpha that I have used, puTTY works
fine for all functions that a VT102 terminal provides.

Apart from using "putty -raw" when connecting to the emulators console
(OPA0:), there is only one crucial setting to prevent the OP's problems:

In puTTY "Terminal" configuration section, set both "Local Echo" and
"Local Line Editing" to "Force Off". This makes sure the VAX / Alpha
console and/or VMS handles these functions.

All other puTTY configuration options are really user preference.

Copy/Paste works fine as well.

/Wilm
Paul Sture
2012-08-27 14:17:11 UTC
Post by Wilm Boerhout
In any and all emulators for VAX and Alpha that I have used, puTTY works
fine for all functions that a VT102 terminal provides.
Apart from using "putty -raw" when connecting to the emulators console
In puTTY "Terminal" configuration section, set both "Local Echo" and
"Local Line Editing" to "Force Off". This makes sure the VAX / Alpha
console and/or VMS handles these functions.
All other puTTY configuration options are really user preference.
Copy/Paste works fine as well.
Thanks Wilm. I have tested this with AlphaVM_Free and it works fine (I
haven't tested Copy/Paste yet).
Paul Sture
badger007
2012-08-26 18:56:09 UTC
/Wilm

Hello

Just wanted to ask are you using windowz or linux when using putty. They work differently from each os

Badger007

at least they have for me. I dont run microjunk anymore. got tired of viruses, spyware and things that simply did not work.
badger007
2012-08-26 20:29:18 UTC
Wilm

I will try what you say and see if my putty config is set to what you say.

I still cant cut and past in putty. How are you able to perform this action.

Badger007
***@yahoo.com
Wilm Boerhout
2012-08-27 05:05:38 UTC
Post by badger007
Wilm
I will try what you say and see if my putty config is set to what you say.
I still cant cut and past in putty. How are you able to perform this action.
Badger007
I'm using Windows (mostly) but occasionally Linux (Redhat variants)

It's the same program, although a different build of course.

Selecting a piece of text with the mouse in the puTTY window does an
implicit copy. Right mouse click then does a paste.

/Wilm