I would like to ask a favor of someone here if i may about dec windows
badger007
2012-07-28 19:28:35 UTC
Hello

I am very new at this. I have openvms running in simh compiled with network support and 64 bit setting for large vfiles. I have the tcpip running in such a way I can telnet into it from anyware i wish out side my house. I really wish I could get someone to write a how to for setting up dec windows on vms and an xserver so I can run dec windows from telneting into my vax server. If someone would happen to take this on it would be one of the most read documents on the internet as far as openvms is concerned. I am running vax and not alpha but I also plan on set up an alpha as well. I hope to here from some one.

any consideration I wish to say thinks in advance.

badger007
***@yahoo.com

ps.
I hope this is in the correct place. sorry if it is not let me know ware to post it and i will repost this message there

--http://compgroups.net/comp.os.vms/
Stephen Hoffman
2012-07-28 20:46:18 UTC
Post by badger007
I am very new at this
Some questions for you... What versions of DECwindows and OpenVMS VAX
are you using (assuming you have DECwindows installed), and what is the
host system that you are running the simh emulator on?

Here's how to use ssh (telnet is wildly insecure) for remote X windows
displays to an X Window Server running on an OS X, Linux or Unix
server: <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/134>
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
V***@SendSpamHere.ORG
2012-07-29 13:07:02 UTC
Post by Stephen Hoffman
Post by badger007
I am very new at this
Some questions for you... What versions of DECwindows and OpenVMS VAX
are you using (assuming you have DECwindows installed), and what is the
host system that you are running the simh emulator on?
Here's how to use ssh (telnet is wildly insecure) for remote X windows
displays to an X Window Server running on an OS X, Linux or Unix
server: <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/134>
ssh is going to be somewhat problematic for the OpenVMS VAX user. ;)

Stephen Hoffman
2012-07-29 14:32:16 UTC
http://www.process.com/tcpip/multinet.html
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
Bob Koehler
2012-07-30 19:33:04 UTC
How so? Are you still using UCX?
John E. Malmberg
2012-07-28 20:52:28 UTC
Post by badger007
Hello
I am very new at this. I have openvms running in simh compiled with
network support and 64 bit setting for large vfiles. I have the tcpip
running in such a way I can telnet into it from anyware i wish out side
my house.
SSH would be better. See below.
Post by badger007
I really wish I could get someone to write a how to for
setting up dec windows on vms and an xserver so I can run dec windows
from telneting into my vax server.
That really is not hard to do at all, however X-11 over TCP/IP is not
secure and should never be exposed to a WAN or other insecure network.

It is documented on the HP site under installing VMS and Motif under the
HP Online documentation for OpenVMS.

You may also need to set up a font server to provide some fonts that may
not be supplied by your X-11 server.
Post by badger007
If someone would happen to take this on it would be one of the most
read documents on the internet as far as openvms is concerned. I am
running vax and not alpha but I also plan on set up an alpha
as well. I hope to here from some one.
The big problem is that it is not secure. The X11 protocol does not
provide a reliable method of TCP/IP identification.

The HP TCP/IP services does not provide SSH for VAX. The Process
Software Multinet or TCPWare products may provide this and are available
free for Hobbyists.

What is not documented well at the HP site is how to have a random
X-Server connect up to a VMS host. Most suggest using XDMP and starting
up a session. Generally I do not recommend this as is tends to run a
remote window manager which slows things down. Also when you log out of
a session, the remote session manager requests that the X-11 server
reset it self, which shuts down all X11 programs, even local ones.

X11 is also not very well suitable for access by mobile devices as it is
very vulnerable to network disruptions.

There is also an issue with HP TCPIP services 5.7 on OpenVMS 8.4 that
requires an ECO for SSH tunneling to work. I am not sure if that ECO is
available for hobbyists.

Regards,
-John
***@qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only
Steven Schweda
2012-07-28 22:10:58 UTC
[...] a how to for setting up dec windows on vms and an
xserver so I can run dec windows from telneting into my vax
server. [...]
The X server runs on the system with the keyboard, mouse,
and graphics, not on the emulated VAX (unless the emulator
includes an emulated keyboard, mouse, and graphics). I see
no description of that system in your posting, so, with my
weak psychic powers, I don't know what you need to do to get
an X server running on it.

On the VMS side, installing the DECwindows software, and
enabling the TCPIP transport for it should be about all the
really important things.
[...] ssh [...]
[...] SSH [...]
I'd start with something simple, and then, after getting
that to work, move on to more complicated schemes, as needed.

HELP SET DISPLAY
badger007
"Badgers? Badgers? We don't need no stinking badgers!"
badger007
2012-07-30 03:50:53 UTC
Hello

I am running fedora 17 64 bit openvms 7.3.2 the dec windows i installed was on that cd i dont know the number off the top of my head. My computer is a home built one. I am embarrassed to admit i am a network engineer but this has me confused a bit LOL. It is an amd fx6100 6 core running at 3.2gb 4 gigs of mem and a 2 tb hd . i have 2 nics in system atheros ar8151 gb and a realtek rtl 8169 gb motherboard is a gigabyte galmt-52p . If you need to i can send you a private email with my system password and the present ip address to login to my system after i get the tcpip services back up .. if you have any more questions please let me know

phil
***@yahoo.com
Paul Sture
2012-07-30 09:05:00 UTC
Post by badger007
Hello
I am running fedora 17 64 bit openvms 7.3.2 the dec windows i installed
was on that cd i dont know the number off the top of my head. My
computer is a home built one. I am embarrassed to admit i am a network
engineer but this has me confused a bit LOL. It is an amd fx6100 6 core
running at 3.2gb 4 gigs of mem and a 2 tb hd . i have 2 nics in system
atheros ar8151 gb and a realtek rtl 8169 gb motherboard is a gigabyte
galmt-52p.
I am not sure what you are asking here. Are you using the alphavm_free
package to host VMS? Is the second NIC available for dedicated use by
VMS?

If you are using TUN/TAP to bridge your NIC I would appreciate details of
how you do this on Fedora 17 :-)
Paul Sture
Stephen Hoffman
2012-07-30 11:53:32 UTC
Post by badger007
Hello
I am running fedora 17 64 bit openvms 7.3.2 the dec windows i installed
was on that cd i dont know the number off the top of my head. My
computer is a home built one. I am embarrassed to admit i am a network
engineer but this has me confused a bit LOL. It is an amd fx6100 6 core
running at 3.2gb 4 gigs of mem and a 2 tb hd
OpenVMS doesn't use nor support x86 processors; the emulator uses that
hardware and the host operating system, and presents OpenVMS VAX with
the "hardware" that it expects. Given you've omitted the reference,
the x86 host here is most likely running Microsoft Windows of some ilk.
That adds some complexity, as the DOS box doesn't include terminal
emulation, which means that you're very limited on your use of the
console.
Post by badger007
. i have 2 nics in system atheros ar8151 gb and a realtek rtl 8169 gb
motherboard is a gigabyte galmt-52p .
Again, OpenVMS doesn't use nor support those; the emulator uses those,
and again presents OpenVMS VAX with the "hardware" that it expects.
Put another way, so long as your host operating system (Windows?)
supports that hardware, simh can likely find it and probably use it.
(Now whether this works is another discussion.)
Post by badger007
If you need to i can send you a private email with my system password
and the present ip address to login to my system after i get the tcpip
services back up .. if you have any more questions please let me know
The usual first spot to start is with the installation manual for
OpenVMS, then the DECwindows installation and configuration.
<http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/doc> The difficulty here is that none of
the "hardware" you're using with OpenVMS actually really exists, and
none of it is particularly documented, and none of it is entirely
stable, and - just to keep this stuff interesting - no two of these
emulated configurations is exactly alike, what with the host OS,
emulator version, network hardware, switch, etc.

Getting X going involves having DECwindows installed on the server.
This part of the X Window System is somewhat confusingly called the
client, in X terms, as it's not running the X display. X client
applications can be and here will be running remotely from the X
display. The remote system that you're connecting your displays to is
known as the X Windows server or X server in X terms, and this is the
system that is running the X graphics display; it's the X server.

The particular configuration you're operating in is a pain in the rump,
because the network is not nearly as stable nor as functional as would
be desirable, and the configuration is entirely dependent on
integrating with an X display on another system.

To proceed here...

After OpenVMS and DECwindows are installed, you first need to get IP
going, and to get ping and telnet going. That can involve debugging
the "network hardware" and the virtual network within the host.
Unfortunately, there's no path through that other than trial and error.

You then need to get the X transport configured within DECwindows, and
that's covered in the FAQ <http://labs.hoffmanlabs/vmsfaq> (in the "How
can I enable the DECwindows TCP/IP Transport"), and there is similar
documentation elsewhere. Once set up, you can restart DECwindows or
reboot OpenVMS. @SYS$SYSTEM:SHUTDOWN is the command to shut down
OpenVMS.) This allows DECwindows to use TCP/IP as its network
transport.

You then need to get the "remote" X server - your display system -
installed and configured and set up to not expect nor require xdm or
related mechanisms; use the "dumbest" security your particular X client
can.

All of this is on unstable, ill-documented and configuration dependent.
And because you're using VAX (via emulation) you're on software that's
from 2001, and that wasn't seeing new features added back then;
software that'll interoperate, but that lacks features you might
expect. (TCP/IP Services, for instance, doesn't include ssh. For
that, you have to go to a third-party IP stack, and get that configured
and working here.)

In general... This task is fairly straightforward on a real VAX
system, as that was documented and the pieces usually worked. But it's
not the easiest project on an emulated VAX configuration - you're on
what is effectively unsupported and occasionally somewhat unstable
"hardware", which always makes for "fun".
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
badger007
2012-07-30 03:52:07 UTC
thanks i will look that up if i can find it on the documentation cd i have. I will mostly be running it in my local lan with not outside access but my needed it once in a while. thanks for your information. do you have an url by any chance to point me to that specific documentation. At the moment i have seen so much of the hp docs and such i am a little confused about which one is which.

Phil
***@yahoo.com
badger007
2012-07-30 15:32:22 UTC
Paul

I am not using tun/tap

badger007
Phil
prk62#yahoo.com
badger007
2012-07-30 15:32:30 UTC
What I am asking

I am asking how to set up vax openvms Not alpha to run decwindows on an x server either on the same machine or on a computer on the lan. I also need to setup the xserver on the lan to run the xserver and get it receiving the info from the vax server to be able to display decwindows on the lan pc. I am running fedora 17 linux 64 bit. The second nic is dedicated to the simh emulator and yes dedicated to the vax vms. with a dedicated ip address on the lan. The router is set up to except tenet from out side the lan and i can telnet to it from any pc from with in the land. if you need more info please let me know.

Badger007
Phil
***@yahoo.com
badger007
2012-07-30 15:32:42 UTC
dear Pure Personal Opinion

I understand that i am not in the most ideal of configurations. I know that the emulator is the one using the second nic in the system. I also know that it is unstable and not very fast that is the reason i put both nics on gb section of my lan. I am a little red in the face to admit i am a network engineer. I do understand ip and how it works. I am able to telnet to the vax and telnet to it from out the side of the lan. What i mean is if you had the ip address at the moment and the system password you could log into my vax. I am just asking how to set the vax up to except an xserver request so i can emulate decwindows on the xserver. I am using fedora 17 64 bit. I dont like microsoft products at all after spending so long supporting ms and novell products i have learned i dont like ms at all. I have read the hp docs and really dont make a lot of sense out of them i am rather a.d.d. Sorry about that admitance. I also cant spell worth a hoot. LOL

if you thinkg you would wish to take the time to get this last step working. I would be in your debt some how anyway. .

Badger
Phil
***@yahoo.com
Stephen Hoffman
2012-07-30 16:08:19 UTC
Post by badger007
dear Pure Personal Opinion
I understand that i am not in the most ideal of configurations.
You're in one of the worst configurations for getting OpenVMS and
DECwindows going here, really; on unsupported, underdocumented,
emulated "hardware", and you're working to integrate this configuration
with a far more modern remote X Window Server running on a (probably)
Fedora box. Put another way, this is the deep end of the pool.
Post by badger007
I know that the emulator is the one using the second nic in the system.
Some emulators do, some do not. Most implement a virtual network, and
whether (for instance) libpcap is working can be a problem. One of the
folks I was working with over on the OpenVMS IRC channel (host
irc.2600.net, channel #vms, password vms) apparently encountered a
dodgy libpcap on his host OS configuration. It sort-of worked, but
blew up (and crashed OpenVMS VAX) when clustering and shadowing were
enabled.
Post by badger007
I also know that it is unstable and not very fast that is the reason i
put both nics on gb section of my lan. I am a little red in the face to
admit i am a network engineer. I do understand ip and how it works.
That's not my point.

It's that IP networking (and non-IP networking, as OpenVMS often uses
non-IP and LAN-local Ethernet protocols) variously do not work entirely
reliably here, even if you're familiar with IP networking; the emulator
networking can sometimes have odd behaviors.
Post by badger007
I am able to telnet to the vax and telnet to it from out the side of the lan.
Ok; so VMS is working, and DECwindows is probably installed and
probably started and configured and working.
Post by badger007
I am just asking how to set the vax up to except an xserver request so
i can emulate decwindows on the xserver.
If DECwindows is installed and if you have the IP transport configured
as mentioned in my earlier reference to the OpenVMS FAQ, then OpenVMS
VAX and DECwindows are good to go.

The rest of the requirements are then entirely with the virtual
networking within simh and Fedora, and particularly with the set-up of
and permissions of your (remote) X server. And your (remote) X server
is almost certainly set up to expect authentication or XDM or other
such more modern X "baggage", and OpenVMS VAX and the versions of
DECwindows typical a decade ago don't necessarily or typically provide
what a more modern Linux X Server expects.

Put another way, you probably don't have so much an OpenVMS or a
DECwindows question, but a question of how to disable pretty much all
of the security within a modern X server and allow the
"overly-simplistic" (old) DECwindows X connection to arrive. Looking
at the log files within your X server can sometimes help, here.

If you can ping the X server from OpenVMS, and if you can telnet or
otherwise conenct to it, and if you have the DECwindows TCP/IP
transport loaded, then you're good to go, as far as OpenVMS and
DECwindows is concerned.

The equivalent of the DISPLAY variable on OpenVMS is the SET DISPLAY
command. The basic syntax is:

$ set display /create /node=host_name_or_address /transport=tcpip

That accepts the target host name. or the target IP address, for the X server.

To test your X Window Server with a somewhat modern OpenVMS system
running DECwindows, ssh from your X server into the decuserve.org
server (an OpenVMS Alpha server, and much newer than your OpenVMS VAX
configuration) using the local ssh -Y tool, and launch the ico tool ($
run decw$examples:ico) in the context of the OpenVMS login, or launch
some other DECwindows tool. If ico doesn't launch, then you need to
look at your X server logs and the related pieces, and figure out why.
Post by badger007
I am using fedora 17 64 bit...
And probably simh.
Post by badger007
I have read the hp docs and really dont make a lot of sense out of them...
To answer these questions, you need to tell us what part of the
documentation you do not understand; what section(s) confuses you, and
what is confusing about the section. (The OpenVMS documentation set is
large, and the scope of what might or can be confusing is without
bound.)

If you're just learning OpenVMS itself, then time spent reading the
User's Manual is likely well-spent; that can help you come up to speed
on the terms and concepts. Then maybe a quick trip through the System
Manager's Essentials manual - not reading the whole thing, but skimming
it - again for the terms and concepts.

And you're working in a "hardware" configuration that is not documented
in the HP documentation.
Post by badger007
if you thinkg you would wish to take the time to get this last step
working. I would be in your debt some how anyway. .
For a general sequence, see <https://vanalboom.org/node/18> for another
adventurer's experience with simh on Linux. That's the basic set-up.
That doesn't get into setting up X Windows, however.
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
Stephen Hoffman
2012-07-30 16:26:06 UTC
Addendum...
Post by Stephen Hoffman
The equivalent of the DISPLAY variable on OpenVMS is the SET DISPLAY
$ set display /create /node=host_name_or_address /transport=tcpip
That accepts the target host name. or the target IP address, for the X server.
This SET DISPLAY command sets up the equivalent of the Unix DISPLAY
variable if that's not already been established, or this will reset the
existing display setting to the specified value.

OpenVMS stores the target X host, screen, etc, in the DECW$DISPLAY
logical name.

You can view that X logical name directly with the SHOW LOGICAL
DECW$DISPLAY command, or you can see the current display setting with
the SHOW DISPLAY command; that latter command will translate the
logical name and format and display the target X settings for you.
Post by Stephen Hoffman
To test your X Window Server with a somewhat modern OpenVMS system
running DECwindows, ssh from your X server into the decuserve.org
server (an OpenVMS Alpha server, and much newer than your OpenVMS VAX
configuration) using the local ssh -Y tool, and launch the ico tool ($
run decw$examples:ico) in the context of the OpenVMS login, or launch
some other DECwindows tool. If ico doesn't launch, then you need to
look at your X server logs and the related pieces, and figure out why.
ssh -Y transparently sets up the DECW$DISPLAY logical name as part of
its processing. No need for a SET DISPLAY here.

The ssh -Y path also avoids messing around with firewalls and such, as
the X display session will follows the ssh session home to your local
box and its X server, and the X traffic is also inherently encrypted.
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
badger007
2012-07-30 21:16:58 UTC
I am using tcpip not the old ucx.. I am working on getting multnet and process's tcpware... it is free to hobbyist so i am working on that.. so i will attack this in a 2 pronged attack..

I really appreciate everyone with the help i am getting . did not think there were so much nice people out there still ...

Badger007
Phil
***@yahoo.com
Bob Koehler
2012-07-31 14:58:17 UTC
Post by badger007
I am using tcpip not the old ucx.. I am working on getting multnet and process's tcpware... it is free to hobbyist so i am working on that.. so i will attack this in a 2 pronged attack..
Lots of us refere to HP's TCP/IP product as "UCX". It just never got
better.

OBTW, you are sending very long lines of text, please break them down into
something we can all read.
badger007
2012-07-30 22:20:55 UTC
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

I have the alph open vms 8.3 would it be easier on me if i ran that instead of my present configuration. Would it help you help me ..
i had planed to run both. I was going to alow the vax to be accessed from the internet by providing login id's via email.

just something for a disabled network engineer to do i guess.

Badger007
Phil
***@yahoo.com
Jan-Erik Soderholm
2012-07-30 22:28:30 UTC
Post by Stephen Hoffman
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
I have the alph open vms 8.3 would it be easier on me if i ran that
instead of my present configuration. Would it help you help me .. i had
planed to run both. I was going to alow the vax to be accessed from the
internet by providing login id's via email.
just something for a disabled network engineer to do i guess.
Alpha OpenVMS 8.3 will be far more capable then any VAX version available.
If you have a choise, why select the VAX version?

Jan-Erik
Stephen Hoffman
2012-07-30 23:03:36 UTC
Post by badger007
I have the alph open vms 8.3 would it be easier on me if i ran that
instead of my present configuration.
If you have OpenVMS Alpha V8.3 with the associated DECwindows and
TCP/IP Services installed and configured, then ensure X is configured
on yoru X Server box and issue the following command to connect to your
OpenVMS Alpha server:

ssh -Y ***@example.com
from an Xterm, where example.com is your OpenVMS host, and user is your
OpenVMS username. You'll be prompted for your OpenVMS login password
when you log in via ssh, until/unless you set up certificate-based
logins <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1118>.

Caveat: make sure you first enable the ssh server in TCPIP$CONFIG tool,
or in the Multinet equivalent. (This can involve tweaking a
configuration file on the OpenVMS system; see the TCP/IP Services
installation and configuration manual for details of setting up the ssh
server.)

You'll want to have your X server set to its most permissive connection
mode, at least for initial testing, and check the logs if the ssh -Y
connection fails.
Post by badger007
i had planed to run both. I was going to alow the vax to be accessed
from the internet by providing login id's via email.
There's an automated user registration system for OpenVMS available
here <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1260>, though that package
requires OpenVMS Alpha or OpenVMS I64 (Itanium) server for the
registration software. Once that registration server is established,
then either (or both) OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS I64 servers could
certainly be clustered <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/169> with an
OpenVMS VAX host to allow logins into that, though.
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
Hans Vlems
2012-07-31 06:46:24 UTC
Post by badger007
[...]
You can telnet into the simh/VAX system, so you must have run tcpip
$configure and done that correctly.
To make DECwindows work you must enable XDMP (this is from memory and
at my age that's in a worse condition than your spelling...).
It is IIRC the last option in the server option list.
Next set default to sys$specific:[tcpip$xdmp]
You'll see a couple of .txt files located in that directory. Make a
copy and remove the filetype:

$ copy access.txt access.

AFAIK only one file needs modification, the fille ACCES. contains the
rules which nodes may have access to the decwindows server.
There is a sample record in one of the last lines, commented out, that
shows how to grant access to an entire network.
If your LAN is secure you may want to try this first.

Hans
Steven Schweda
2012-07-31 11:23:47 UTC
Post by Hans Vlems
To make DECwindows work you must enable XDMP (this is from memory and
at my age that's in a worse condition than your spelling...).
No, DECwindows works just fine without XDMCP. If you
enable XDM, the directory is SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$XDM], and
the access file is XACCESS.TXT (according to
XACCESS.TEMPLATE). It's not clear what's true if XACCESS.TXT
does not exist.
Post by Hans Vlems
AFAIK only one file needs modification, the fille ACCES. contains the
rules which nodes may have access to the decwindows server.
As I read this stuff, he's trying to use a GNU/Linux X
server with DECwindows X clients, not a "decwindows server".
Or does "decwindows server" mean something other than
"DECwindows X server"?
Stephen Hoffman
2012-07-31 12:43:22 UTC
Post by Hans Vlems
To make DECwindows work you must enable XDMP (this is from memory and
at my age that's in a worse condition than your spelling...).
It is IIRC the last option in the server option list.
Next set default to sys$specific:[tcpip$xdmp]
IIRC, the decw$xauth pieces arrived with DECwindows V1.3, and OpenVMS
VAX only got as far as DECwindows v1.2-6.

When first getting a potentially unstable configuration going, my
preference is KISS.

Use plain authentication for remote X testing. (Wildly insecre, but
easier to get going during testing.)

I'd not want to assume that an old xdmp version worked with an
arbitrary current-generation box. It might, but I'd prefer to start
testing "simple" first.

And VAXman was chasing problems with decw$xauth and duplicate magic
cookies in recent DECwindows releases, so even current code has had
issues.

The 32-bit VAX replacement product - 64-bit Alpha - was released twenty
years ago this November, and new work on VAX and on OpenVMS VAX started
to decline as Alpha eclipsed VAX. (Pun not intended.)

So as was mentioned up-thread, start with OpenVMS Alpha and more recent
products, and work your way to getting OpenVMS VAX clustered and going.
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
V***@SendSpamHere.ORG
2012-07-31 13:19:31 UTC
{...snip...}
And VAXman was chasing problems with decw$xauth and duplicate magic
cookies in recent DECwindows releases, so even current code has had
issues.
FWIW, and for those following along at home, that turned out to be a TCPIP
Services bug and it has been corrected with an ECO for TCPIP Services. It
was introduced with the TCPIP Services V5.7 release that was released con-
current with the release of OpenVMS V8.4.

badger007
2012-07-31 17:59:52 UTC
Hello

I spoke to soon on the alpha there is not linux alpha support to run the alpha vms . and simh will not. i thought it did.

Phil
Paul Sture
2012-07-31 18:55:54 UTC
Post by badger007
Hello
I spoke to soon on the alpha there is not linux alpha support to run the
alpha vms . and simh will not. i thought it did.
http://emuvm.com/

Unfortunately at this point in time only a raw TCP connection is offered
to the console, so it isn't easy to get started with it.

See the recent thread here

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=de&fromgroups#!topic/
comp.os.vms/0ys4QvFclb8
Paul Sture
John Wallace
2012-07-31 20:38:18 UTC
Post by Paul Sture
Post by badger007
Hello
I spoke to soon on the alpha there is not linux alpha support to run the
alpha vms . and simh will not. i thought it did.
http://emuvm.com/
Unfortunately at this point in time only a raw TCP connection is offered
to the console, so it isn't easy to get started with it.
See the recent thread here
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=de&fromgroups#!topic/
comp.os.vms/0ys4QvFclb8
--
Paul Sture
Point of order Mr Speaker.

Bearing in mind Google's willingness to change things incompatibly for
no good reason, it is probably good gwneral practice nowadays to offer
another token that will help find the message(s) in question. That
link may work for now, on some browsers, but won't necessarily work in
two years time...

Carry On Sergeant.
Paul Sture
2012-08-01 11:29:24 UTC
Post by John Wallace
Post by Paul Sture
Post by badger007
Hello
I spoke to soon on the alpha there is not linux alpha support to run
the alpha vms . and simh will not. i thought it did.
http://emuvm.com/
Unfortunately at this point in time only a raw TCP connection is
offered to the console, so it isn't easy to get started with it.
See the recent thread here
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=de&fromgroups#!topic/
comp.os.vms/0ys4QvFclb8
Point of order Mr Speaker.
Bearing in mind Google's willingness to change things incompatibly for
no good reason, it is probably good gwneral practice nowadays to offer
another token that will help find the message(s) in question. That link
may work for now, on some browsers, but won't necessarily work in two
years time...
Carry On Sergeant.
Excellent point! Sah!

http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.vms/2012-07/
threads.html#00309

Does anyone know of a more readable archive or a better way to view
derkeiler? I am not too keen on the back and forth way you have to
navigate the thread at the above URL.
Paul Sture
badger007
2012-07-31 23:12:27 UTC
Hello all

Thanks for the help it is nice for a changed to see such willingness it makes me feel like someone out there really cares about someone you dont know by person who is just trying to learn who is stuck at home do to disabilities.

I now have multinet i need to get over to the vax system i will work on that.

what i have now done. I have been through so much documentation so many fourms and read so much i have my self so confused. I like the comment about my spelling and y our memory my fried that was funny.

I am now reinstalling my vax openvms software. I had changed so many of the silly files in there that i later found out was for phase iv and other stuff that was said you needed to run dec windows that i did not know what state the server was in. so as soon as i have ip running for in which i am getting ready to load the licensing file. Load and configure tcpip. got get my wife from my mother in law uuuggg i will let you all know when i can reproceed.

again thinks for your help .. i will be ready in an hour or so.

Philip King
Badger007 (see why i call my self badger)
***@yahoo.com
badger007
2012-07-31 23:12:54 UTC
Hello again

Its Badger007

A question about tcpip configuration vax openvms 7.3.2 ...

option one domain. I have a no-ip domain and my dynamic updater is working. the domain is http://kingsplantation.no-ip.com is this what i put in the domain. I have just been using vaxman which is the name of the vax server. the computer network name is trex what do i put here that would best fit my needs.

phil
badger007
***@yahoo.com
Stephen Hoffman
2012-08-01 00:03:41 UTC
Post by badger007
A question about tcpip configuration vax openvms 7.3.2 ...
This is a generic IP networking question.
Post by badger007
option one domain. I have a no-ip domain and my dynamic updater is
working. the domain is http://kingsplantation.no-ip.com is this what i
put in the domain. I have just been using vaxman which is the name of
the vax server. the computer network name is trex what do i put here
that would best fit my needs.
I'd run a private IP network in a private IP network block, a
NAT-capable gateway-firewall-router box at the edge of your network,
and (eventually) with private DNS services configured, with a
publicly-registered DNS domain.

That is, unless you're operating on a number of public static IP
addresses, and your use of a dynamic DNS service implies you are not.

In general, OpenVMS is not particularly stable when configured with a
dynamic address or with DHCP. Use static IP. With a typical
network, that's usually an IP address allocated from a private IP
block; a subnet in 10.0.0.1 to 10.255.255.254 range, or in 172.16.0.1
to 172.31.255.254, or in the 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.255.254 block.

Yes, you can sometimes get away with that for a "client" or
"workstation-style" usage for your OpenVMS box and DHCP, but - once you
start turning on IP services and such - that generally won't work with
a server or with the typical "server-style" usage of your OpenVMS box.
I would NOT recommend using DHCP with OpenVMS.

This is fairly typical advice for a number of server-oriented operating
systems; these servers are the server boxes that are serving the
clients and client systems; servers serving the client boxes using DHCP
addresses and the rest of the stuff that client boxes depend on.
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
Ken Fairfield
2012-08-01 15:09:20 UTC
Post by badger007
Hello again
Its Badger007
A question about tcpip configuration vax openvms 7.3.2 ...
One point of possible confusion here...

The last released version on OpenVMS/VAX was 7.3, not 7.3.2.
OpenVMS/Alpha had a 7.3-2 (and 7.3, 7.3-1 and probably some
-xHy versions), as well as the later 8.2, 8.3 and 8.4.

So when you write "7.3.2", I immediately think "Alpha". But
with SimH, you're limited to VAX, so that must be 7.3 (or
earlier). Keep that in mind when you're looking up software
compatibility and patches, etc. (Or try one of the Alpha
emulators that have been mentioned here.)

-Ken
badger007
2012-08-01 18:47:55 UTC
Ken

thanks a lot there on the version number did not know that.

I am trying to get an alpha emulator for linux 64 i thank i have one will let you all not.. now off to the shower and to sell produce. will be back later this evening

Phil

thanks for all the advice. i will look at this all again and start from the beginning. I had changed a lot of things in vms for xdm and some other files i thought was necessary. So i could have been working against my self. I really like this forum people her know there stuff. Make me fill intelligent. and yse i spelled that correctly LOL